Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuesday happenings....and a surprise

My cannas are growing...
the begonias and impatients are doing well

this is one of the places I like to sit and enjoy the outdoors...
Nolan is snooping around

found this at Kohl's this weekend...
haven't decided where to put it...
got one for Mom too....



my little froggie just chillin....





more froggies just enjoying the nice morning...


got the sprinkler going this morning....




my four o'clocks are starting to have seed...
keep reading below for a surprise......



freshly watered....




another frog enjoying his morning shower....





I just love the purple veins in this plant...



more glads blooming....





the caterpillars are getting fatter.....
can't wait for butterflies...


these mallards come every day to Moms to eat....
2 males and one female....
if you enlarge the photo you can see the female
better she is eating out of the bowl...

if there is no food out...the waddle up to the front porch
and start making a lot of noise...
the pigeons eat with them also...
but the run the squirrels off...
Now for the surprise....
well as you saw in the photo above...
my four o'clocks are starting to have seeds...
well I would like to share them with you....
my sweet blog friends...
if you would like seeds please send me an
e-mail (it is listed on the right side)
with your name and address...
and I will mail them to you....
I will not share your address with anyone else...
I will be having seed all summer....
right now my pink ones have seed....
later on the yellow will also....
I have a lot of dill seed also if you are interested...
have a great Tuesday......
Below is a little about 4 o'clocks...
I just put the seeds in the ground....water and let them grow...
they are easy to grow and come back every year....
4 O'Clocks
Mirabilis jalapa

Named for its habit of blooming after 4:00 PM, Four O'Clocks grow and flower almost anywhere in the U.S., and thrive in conditions where some flowers would languish, including hot, windy areas. Grown close together, they make an excellent annual hedge. Although grown as an annual in most areas, they can be grown as a perennial in areas where the ground never freezes. They produce tubers that can be dug in the fall and planted again the following spring after the last chance of frost. Four O'Clocks look wonderful in large containers such as tubs and barrels, and have an outstanding fragrance when open.
Life Cycle: Tender Perennial (Usually grown as an annual) Height: 12" to 24" inches Bloom Season: Summer/Fall
Color: Red-Pink-Yellow-White
Exposure: Full Sun
To Plant in Beds and Borders:Sow in spring after danger of frost has passed. Plant 1/4 inch deep and 1" apart. When 1" tall thin to 1' to 2' apart.
Seeds can 5-10 days to germinate.
To Plant A Meadow: Prepare soil by removing weeds and cultivating to loosen the soil.
Spread seeds evenly over prepared soil.
Pressing or rolling seeds onto soil will help improve germination rate.
Keep soil slightly moist until seedlings are established.

10 comments:

deedee said...

Thank you for the offer - I'll have to check to see if those grow well here in the hot Arizona sun.

Loretta said...

Thanks Deb. What a thoughtful thing to do. I've never had four o'clocks in my garden. I wonder if they'll grow up here in NY? Sometimes the growing season is just too short. I will check and if they'll do ok here I will send my address. Hugs, Loretta

Susie said...

Hey Deb, I enjoyed your little froggies. I use to collect them myself.

Thanks for the offer of the seed. I grew 4 o'clocks before but they turned into 9 o'clocks. Isn't that funny!

Joy said...

I love how you painted that wall.
I enjoy your pictures a lot.
That is so sweet of you to share the seeds.
I'll send you an e-mail.

Joy

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How sweet of you Deb...your the best my friend..I'll PEM you...May you have a great day ...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Janie said...

You have such a lovely garden. Thanks for the offer of seeds, although I think it would be too late to plant annuals here now.
I love the painted wall, too. Very cute.

Jo said...

Oh, your place looks lovely! Can I come over? I'll bring my swimsuit and we can run through the sprinkler. :-)

Tanna said...

Deb, you are so sweet to share your four o'clocks! I think you are just a bit ahead of us... mine have not bloomed yet... but, VERY close! They are some of my favorites, too! Thank you again for the offer to share!

Unknown said...

thanks for the offer, although I have several varieties in my garden including the Kaleidascope kind. I wish I could see mine bloom, they must open very late and close very early. Sometimes I can catch them open about 7 a.m.

Kelly Bergsing said...

I have been thinking about planting 4 o'clocks for a while. I hear they smell wonderful. We have a whole lotta full sun here. I am sure if they can grow in the Tx heat, they should be fine here in Northern Alabama. :) It makes it better when you have a plant that has come from a friend!! Every time I see them, I will think of you. And if we move, I can gather the seed and take them with me, too!! :)