Thursday, June 4, 2009

Washers pronounced Worshers in Texas

This is a washer.....
there are 2 washer boards.....one at each end

the center hole is worth 5 points
bottom right is worth 2 points
bottom left is worth 1 point
top right is worth 3 points
top left is worth 4 points



as you can tell these washer boards have had a lot of use...
you can play singles...or doubles...
singles you each take turns throwing at each end...
doubles each team has a player at each end..
the goal is to get exactly 21 points first without going over..
if you go over or bust...your points start again...
you can also cover the persons points and they will
not get them...if someone throws into the 5 hole..
and you put your washer into the same hole...
they don't get the points....
needless to say the games can get lively...
lots of trash talk going on....lots of good fun...
this is the Texas version of the game...
there are other versions using boards or putting cans
in the ground etc.... lot's of good fun can be had
by all.....kids love the game too.....
I'm not very good at it but have fun trying....
So now you know about Worshers.....

12 comments:

Loretta said...

I had asked about what throwing washers was in an earlier post. I got it now! Looks like fun. Think we can play throwing worshers in New York? :) Here it would be called throwing waaaashuz. Hugs, Loretta

Carla said...

This looks like fun!

deedee said...

My hubby is from the South. When we threw a huge party last year, he said he had to make wooden boxes for washers. I thought he was crazy. When everyone came to the party (no one was from the South) no one had a clue about "washers".... but we now have two very nicely built boxes :0

Heather said...

I saw you on Laughing Orca.

I'm from TX but live in NM now. Everytime we go to my sister's though we play washers. Small world!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Deb, What great fun. I know this is a southern born game. Thank you for the washer lesson.
So nice to see you today Texas friend. Thank you for your kind comment.

Have a great evening.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Cynthia said...

Can't say I have ever heard of this game before but it does sound like it would be a lot of fun- especially at a family get together or bbq! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to remember this for all the kids around here.

Glimpse of My World said...

only we would understand the "WORSHERS".. We must get together!!! Hugs~

xinex said...

Sounds so much fun and very interesting....Christine

Dixie said...

Hey Deb... we played "worshers" when I was a kid in Mississippi... but in Mississippi we just use one hole... in the ground... no can... guess we're dumb, lazy or both... No, wait... maybe we're efficient!

Haven't play since I moved to Texas... guess I'll be over later to throw a few with ya...

FrenchGardenHouse said...

fun, fun! I love Ricky Nelson, too! That was my all time favorite song when I was (really!) young.
:) Lidy

Dawn said...

I've never seen this game before, it's really interesting. Thanks for stopping by. You have some beautifull photos. Off to visit your animal blog...
Dawn

Annie said...

I can't believe I, a Texan, didn't know what a game of washers was. Neither did Tall Husband. Now my education is complete. Looks like fun and I love Loretta's Yankee pronunciation:"waaaashuz".