Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Becoming a grandparent for the 1st time....

Becoming a grandparent for the first time is an exciting and a little scary event. When you are first told the news you immediately start thinking. What will you be called, there are so many grandparent names, and will you have a traditional name or one that only a grandchild can come up with. You start remembering the experiences you had with your own Grandparents. You remember the experiences you had with your own children, will it be the same or a whole different world. You start listening to the grandchildren stories of your friends and family, all the while wondering what your experience will be like. You start planning the things you want to do the same as when you raised your children, and what you would do differently. You start accessing your home to see if it is child friendly and make mental notes of what will need to be changed. You imagine what it will be like to hold your grandchild for the first time and know that you are there to love them and protect them, but their parents are there to raise them. You wonder if your child and spouse will raise them with the same morals and standards you raised your children with.  Tomorrow I will meet my first grandchild....Please send up prayers that the delivery goes well...and Mom and baby will be safe and happy.....

16 comments:

Diana Ferguson said...

You got it! You are going to love this grandparenting...

Emily & Scott said...

Congrats!!! You'll be an awesome Grandma!! Your family will be in my prayers that all will go well!!

Sue said...

I was in the delivery room when my first granddaughter was born. I will say one thing, there are NO words to describe the feeling of holding your grandchild in your arms for the first time. I can always find "something" to say, but when it comes to the love you have for your grandchildren, trust me, there are no words to describe it. My little grandson is due in a matter of weeks. I can't wait to meet my third!

Congratulations,
Sue

Deb said...

Done! Enjoy tomorrow, it is sure to be a wonderful day.

nanny said...

I just get chills and tears thinking about the feeling you will have........it is nothing you have ever experienced before......

Susie said...

You have got to be so excited! Can't wait to see pics!

Tanna said...

There is NOTHING like a grandchild!! You will love it like you can't imagine!

Sue said...

Deb, there are not enough words to describe the joy you and your dh are going to experience You are going to have so much fun. I am so happy for you. I will be praying and am looking for pictures real soon. Hugs,
Sue

Linda Hoye said...

Sending prayers - trust me, you will never me the same once you hold that precious grandchild for the first time! {{hugs}}

Dawn said...

Will say a prayer for a quick, easy and safe delivery. I think you and your husband will be great grandparents and I think the parents will be awesome too! Look at the example they have in you two!
Hugs,
Dawn

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It is a fantastic Deb when you see your first grandchild for the first time. A moment I will NEVER forget. You will love the whole experience. Thoughts and prayers with you all for a safe delivery. A x

Tara said...

How exciting! The first grandchild in a family is a little extra special. Good thought and prayers for Mama and baby!

Loretta said...

Prayers going up for mamma and baby! What an exciting day! Be blessed!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Ohhhhhhh, it IS tomorrow, when I'm reading this! Best wishes for all to be just as it should be.

And you will have a wonderful time, my Dear... Being a Grand Mother. :-)

Btw, have you picked out your Grand Mother "name"? My mother was 'Nana' and I am 'Nana.' We need to pick it out, if we have a favorite, before the other Grand Mother does. :-)))

Becoming a Grand Mother hugs...

Deb said...

Thank you everyone for all the support...and no I haven't picked a name...I'm going to let him decide....

Janie said...

It's such an exciting time, meeting that first grandchild - one of life's finest moments.