Monday, November 12, 2012

 
Where do turkeys go to Dance????
 
 
The butter ball....
I was looking for Thanksgiving songs...poems...etc....
ran across some really cute jokes....
I'm not gonna pass them on all on once....
I don't want to make you fall out of your chair laughing...
 
 
when my hubby and I first got married...
I made a pot of pinto beans....and cornbread...
when I put the cornbread on the table...
he asked me what it was....I said cornbread...
well he grew up eating... Hotwater cornbread
I had never heard of it...I grew up on regular cornbread...
no sugar added...never have liked sweet cornbread...
so he explained to me how to cook it...
I learned how...it took a while to get it right...
yummy....I don't eat bread anymore...
but if anything could tempt me it would be...
Hotwater Cornbread
Click on the link for the recipe....
I later found out it was used on the  wagon trails...
it was easy to make...you didn't need milk or eggs...
plus it would keep easy too...
 
 
Today I am thankful that I grew up with Grandparents close by...
I had my Nana...who I learned so much from...
I always felt like a grown up when I was with her...
I had my Mamaw and Papaw...
who were total opposites from Nana...
they listened to country music...
watched wrestling on tv...
I got the best of both worlds...
when I was older I met my Grandpa Nolan...
he was a horseman...he played cowboy polo...
he was a really interesting man....with lot's of experiences...
I feel like I can use what I learned from all of them...
to be an Oma for Hotrod...

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

how sweet. :)

Just Mags said...

I like your yellow clothespin. I have never had hot water cornbread and I have never cared for sweet cornbread. I will check out the hot water cornbread recipe and may give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hugs

MadSnapper said...

your grandparents did a fantasic job of it, since we can see what a wonderful Oma you are to HR. i just came from a blog and she was talking about hotwater cornbread but they call it johnny cakes, as do I. my dad used to make them

Diana LaMarre said...

butter balls......ha ha...I am still smiling.

I love cornbread. Just had some Sat. night at a country music dinner show. Hubby is not a fan, so I don't make it very often. I am going to check out the recipe anyway. Sometimes I make it just for myself.

Janie said...

Grandparents have a lot to offer, and those of us who had a chance to get to know ours were lucky.
Hotwater cornbread sounds pretty good.

Carla said...

I pinned the recipe so I could try it later.
Now I do like my sweet cornbread with some cream corn, butter and honey added to my mixture

Judy said...

Love that hummingbird!!
I have no memory of my father's parents, and I was 18 before I found out how many sisters he had; they all lived within 20 miles. Now he has banished 2 of my bil's. Ask why my kids don't want to go there... Hell, if it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't go there!