Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ramblings from a Texas Gal....


Yesterday on Facebook a friend posted HOW WE MET...

and you put a comment on how you met this person...

I told my 17 year old niece that I had met her at the hospital...

she answered back...Wow...you are one of the 1st people I met

in my whole life....I thought that was the coolest answer ever...

This morning I visited the Lone Star Queen at http://www.howdyfromcowtown.com/ and her post was about
"Usedtocouldhave".....stop by and visit...you will really get a kick
out of her post... warning to all non-Texans....this is definately a
Texas word.....

The other day my daughter and I were talking about words and phrases
we use here in Texas that people not from here have a hard time
understanding.....

Pallet- that is when you get out all the quilts...blankets and pillows...
make you a pallet on the floor to sleep on....or watch movies...

Worsh cloth- now to refined folks that would be a wash cloth....

Worshiteria- that is a laundry mat....

Tickey- that means you feel kinda itchy....like you got sand in your shirt or something...

Britches- that would be pants or trousers

What words do you use...and your non-local friends look at you like you have 2 heads????

We are having warm front today....gonna hit 40....LOL...then down to the teens for the rest of the week....

9 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good Morning Deb...Now I was just in Texas in Aug and your right they do talk differ than we do in Calif...but I didn't have a problem understanding a thing they said....I grew up in Iowa and alot of there terms were the same thing I heard as a kid...Many blessings to you this year my friend...may you have happy travels with hubs on his bike...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Dawn said...

We make pallets with blankets and have britches too. Haven't been ticky or gone to a worsharita though! My mom's family came here from Oaklahoma and Texas and some of the local flavor still survives. My mom weilds a cast iron skillet like nobody's business but I don't even own one.
Stay warm!
Dawn

♥ Kathy said...

I use britches all the time lol and pallet..

Kay said...

I didn't realize you were on Facebook too. What is your name over there? I have a Facebook badge on my blog.

Kay

Andrea said...

I've lived in Texas all of my life, my hubbby too. He's got tons of things he says that people dont' get, I think cause he's from a really small East Texas town and they really do talk differently.
One thing I said to someone once, they truly didn't get, and I thought everybody knew what it meant was "knee walkin' drunk"...not that I ever have been mind you, but I've certainly used that term to describe some people, lol!
xoxo
PS. I loved making pallets on the floor when I was younger, my middle aged bones wouldn't go for that now, lol!

Deb said...

Thanks for the nice mention!! It would be terrible to be tickey in your britches, wouldn't it?

Stay warm! If I were you I would make that pallet by the far (fire) tonight. Another Texan pronunciation for you.

Joy said...

I've slept on many pallets when I was a kid.
The one thing my dad says is Walmark instead of Walmart. Although he isn't a Texan but southern. My Aunts husband says it that way too.
Cracks me up.

Joy

Darla said...

We have some of the same sayings...love it~~!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

These are great! Texas could be it's own country, couldn't it?
I was born in Corpus Christi, but wasn't raised in Texas.
I did spend 7 years in South Carolina and picked up some of the southern phrases and words.

I still call a grocery cart :a buggy. lol!


~Lisa