Friday, March 8, 2013

Today is International Women's Day..

 My 51st birthday is coming up on the 19th of this month...
it got me to thinking...
about all the women that have influenced my life...
Today March 8th is International Women's Day...
 
first and foremost is my Mom...
she was 15 when she had me...
she gave me the love of music...
we always had music in the house...in the car...
she exposed us to all kinds of music...
when I was growing up I didn't appreciate the fact...
that my Mom was so young...
and  that she didn't mind letting her Freak Flag fly...
she drove a fast 1965 Red Mustang...
she wore hot pants...
she gave us the love of books...
the love of art...dance...
she encouraged us to express ourselves...
I was shy...didn't like to stick out...
just wanted to blend....
Now I appreciate all these qualities in my Mom...
what embarrassed me as a kid...endears me to her now....
I tried with my kids to encourage them to express themselves...
be individuals...not worry about what others think...
Thank you Mom for all you've taught me...
for the example you have always set for me...
for showing me that flying my freak flag is cool....
 

Another wonderful woman...with a big influence...
was my Nana...my ladybug...
she was very young when she married...
had 10 children...8 that lived...
lost my grandfather when her youngest was a baby...
she managed to keep her family together...
My Nana and I had a special connection from day one...
she was at the hospital when I was born...
my Mom and I lived with her for a time when I was a baby...
she was a Christian woman...
she took me to church...we shopped together...
I always felt like a grown up when I was with her...
she could be herself with me...I could be myself with her...
she was a great homemaker...seamstress...cook...friend...
she was a beautiful woman inside and out....
I talked to her on the phone at least 4 times a week...
she taught me the joy of a homemade gift...
receiving it and giving it...

Another great woman in my life was Mrs. Walker...
she was my BFF from high school's Mom...
she was a stay at home Mom...that also worked from home...
she helped her husband run a business...she also had a job
doing work at home for yearbooks...
she volunteered in the PTA...she was a girl scout leader...
Booster club member...
I think at one time or the other she was President of all of them...
as busy as she was...she always had time for her family...
three daughters...also for their friends...
for her friends...if you ever needed any one to talk to...
Mrs. Walker was there to listen...not to judge...
she would tell you what she thought...or guide you...
but it was up to you to decide what to do...
Doing all this...she had arthritis...a extremely severe case...
she was in pain most of her life...but she never stopped...
never complained...was always there with a hug...
a glass of tea...
she showed me you can be there for your kids...
run a business...volunteer...
when I feel I have to much on my plate...
I think of all she did...while going through so much...
it makes me put one foot in front of the other....
keep on going...
 
My Aunts also had a big influence in my life...
My Aunt Dorothy....
she can throw a dinner party or gathering like no other...
cloth napkins...pretty dishes...
she knows the family history...
she is a Christian woman...
a leader...
she dresses in the most amazing outfits...
hats..shoes...handbags...
she has such style and grace...
I think my love of cloth napkins...pretty dishes...
hats came from her.....
Red hair also...
My Aunt Wanda...the teacher...
a Christian woman...
as a kid I wanted to be a teacher...
I played teacher all the time...
I've always loved working with kiddos...
I think this came from her...
My Aunt Rachel....she is the keeper of the family calendar...
A Christian woman...
she keeps track of the births...marriages...anniversaries...deaths...
she's the one to go to the hospital when a new baby is born...
she was there when both of my kids were born...
she has sent me a birthday card for as long as I can remember...
I'm the keeper of the family calendar in my family...
I love to send cards...to keep track of everyone...
I think I got this from her...
Mrs. Cook our neighbor when I was growing up...
she was an artist...she was a Christian woman...
she volunteered at her church...she cooked...
she gardened...she played the piano...
she let us help her can vegetables...make jelly...
she was sweet and patient...
I feel like she had a big impact on my life...
My Mamaw...I was not blood related to her...
she met me when I was not quite 2...
but she treated me like a grand daughter from day one...
she taught me the love of country music...
Mamaw loved music...she would get her toe tapping...
she loved dancing...
she taught me to sew on her treadle sewing machine...
she taught me how to quilt...I'm sure my stitches weren't great...
but she let me do them any way...
she taught me to embroidery...
She was completely opposite of my Nana...
I got the best of both worlds..
My Mom's friend Donnis...
a beautiful...sweet... kind...artistic woman...
I loved spending time with her as a kid...
she reminded me of Doris Day...
her daughter Nicole and I were friends...
she would let Nicole and I play dress up with her clothes...
she would take us out in public with our dress up clothes on..
with our baby dolls...
I remembered this when my kids came along...
I let them wear their dress up clothes in public...
or mix matched clothes if they dressed themselves..
Donnis and my Mom would take us to the park...
with paper..pencils...crayons...have us draw what we saw...
take us into the creeks to catch tadpoles...
I even used Nicole as my daughters middle name...
I remember a cross necklace Donnis gave me for my birthday...
my brother grabbed it one day when we were playing outside...
I lost the cross...but have never forgotten how special it was to me...she is still a special lady...
have recently got her back in my life...still as beautiful as ever...
I feel fortunate to have the strong women as part of my life...
I think I learned something from each and every one of them...
I know I have a piece of each of them in my heart...
 
To my blog friends...you are all special women...
I feel I learn something from each of you...
we may never meet in person...
but you all have a special place in my heart...
 
 
 
 
 


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful your blog. I enjoyed this. The people having a story that meant alott to you.

I am a Canadian so never knew it was International Women's Day...

Lovely and so touching. Thanks for sharing.

You have had alot of Mentors in your life.

My oldest Granddaughter will be 20 March 15 and my Husband will be 74 March 19th. My Grandson will be 14 March 20th. My son-law was 55 March 5th. March is a busy month of Birthdays it seems for alot of people..

My oldest son will be the big 50 in June 14th.

So your leaving the big 50 to take the 51 with being a women of Grace.

So Enjoy those moments on the 19th. And a great big Happy Birthday incase I do not get back in on your Special day.


God Bless!

TexWisGirl said...

i have no doubt that your kids and grandkids will count you as one of these most influential women in their lives, too. :)

Jeanie said...

You have been blessed with some wonderful guidance from the women in your life. It sounds like you have been wise enough to learn the best from each of them.

Linda said...

What a testimony to the wonderful women God has graced your life! You, my dear, are continuing this blessing by inspiring others. Your children, family, friends.....you are a REAL inspiration and I am so grateful.
A truly lovely post! I am thankful I have met you and your wonderful mom. I miss being home but will be back to stay very soon!
May God bless you as you bless so many others!

Susan said...

What a wonderful post Deb. So thoughtful and loving towards all those great women that influenced your life. I know I'm glad to know you a little and hopefully more as time goes by.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a lovely post. And how lucky you were, to have such wonderful women, in your life, especially when growing up. :-)

And an Early Happy Birthday to you, my Dear. Another March baby, I see. :-)

"Auntie"

MadSnapper said...

you were blessed with so many wonderful women to guide you and make you what you are today. now i know why i am like i am, i have many faults and even though i want to be like what you are, i am not. i had no women in my life, my mom was a kind and sweet and gentle woman, but daddy was the king of us all, so her influence was not a changer for me. we had no music, no fun no hugs and my grandmother i only saw once a year. sometimes 2. my aunt, daddy's sister taught me to be kind and caring and to help others in need because she did. i like reading stories like this because it is the total opposite of what i had.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Lucky you, these woman sound so wonderful. So glad you had then in your life. ((HUGS)) Great post!

Leave It To Davis said...

I have a feeling that each of these women count you as a blessing in their lives. To have someone adore them so as to honor them on their blog is truly a blessing for them.

Your mom must have been amazing to have raised you since she was 15. And you said your grandma was a Christian woman...she must truly have been to allowed the two of you to live there with her....back in the 60's not every "Christian" would have been so understanding. You truly were blessed.

Diana LaMarre said...

What a beautiful post, Deb. You certainly do have many great ladies in your life!

Michelle said...

A wonderful tribute to the wonderful women in your life!

Nancy said...

A long and inspiring list Deb -- you have been blessed by some giving ladies.

Judy said...

Love that image of the apple blossoms!!! I am waiting...

Carla said...

Sweet Blog and I'm reading on... Yes your birthday
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*
´¸.•
´ ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥Happy Birthday Deb•.¸¸.♥